Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Earaches




















The Earaches were a tuff garage punk combo outta Seattle. My buddy Alan Wright was their original drummer and he's the one who asked me to do this drawing of the band, which was printed in the booklet of their 2003 CD debut Fist Fights, Hot Love on Steel Cage Records. That's Alan lurking at far left in the drawing. Alan was a tireless fan and contributor to the rock'n'roll scene as a musician, writer and 'zine publisher. He was one of the first people to take an interest in my work and helped me a lot in getting established as a rock'n'roll artist. I sure owe him a lot. Alan killed himself in 2004. Five years have gone by now and I still find it hard to believe that I'll never get another phone call from him, or another letter full of rock'n'roll news and tapes or CDRs of all the latest music that he was excited about. I never saw the dark side of Alan and I don't know much about the personal demons that overtook him, but for some of us rock'n'roll is more than just music, it's a vision of a better world than this that we hold on to and hope will see us through. Looking back I think that kind of feeling for the music we both loved may have been the common bond that made us friends. I miss this guy. More stuff coming soon. Stay tuned for MORE EULOGISIN' ACTION!

No comments:

Post a Comment