Friday, December 18, 2009

R-A-M-O-N-E-S




















I did a bunch of Ramones drawings in the immediate aftermath of Joey's death back in 2001. First was a simple B&W drawing of Joey on a poster for a tribute show featuring some of the local punk combos, then I did a similar cartoon portrait of him in color for the Amp Records compilation CD Life's A Gas! A Tribute To Joey Ramone. Last in the series was a caricature of the whole band for my friend Jari-Pekka Laitio-Ramone's first book of compiled ravings from fanatical Ramones fans, Heaven Must Have Needed A Lead Singer: Fans Remember Joey Ramone. Looking back at all this stuff a few months ago I found that I liked bits and pieces of each but didn't think any of them really worked as a whole so I had a typically hairbrained idea: why not cut out all the bad parts and assemble the remaining bits and pieces together Frankenstein style into my Ultimate Ramones Drawing?!!! As it turned out I probably would have saved a bit of time by just starting from scratch with a new drawing, but that's life, I guess. Anyhow, here's the gruesome result of my unholy late night work down in the laboratory. Stay tuned for MORE TEENAGE DOPE FIEND ACTION!

No comments:

Post a Comment